In Touch with Memory
Come to us!
Recommended Levels: 8 – 12
In Term 1 2021, we will be opening our doors at our temporary location in Malvern East whilst our new museum is being built. This program will be offered in our brand new Learning Studios and delivered by our incredible team of educators.
The In Touch with Memory program will include:
- A new Handling Collection that will help students link the events of the Holocaust with documents, photos, artefacts and memories from that time.
- A precious encounter with a Holocaust survivor where students can hear their testimony and ask questions.
- An optional new Virtual Reality (VR) Experience called ‘Walk With Me’ that connects history with place. Students will experience Holocaust survivor John (Szaja) Chaskiel’s story by virtually visiting important sites, including where he lived in Poland, Auschwitz itself and, finally, his home in Melbourne. This will be available from Term 1, 2021 and will add an extra 30 minutes to the program.
* Led by Holocaust Educator
* Duration: 150 minutes
* Maximum of 50 students
* Location: Temporary premises, a short three minute walk from Caulfield Station
* Two sessions Monday-Friday:
- Session 1: 9:30-12:00
- Session 2: 12:30-15:00
* Cost: $7.50 per student
History: Historical concepts and skills. This program will give students a real opportunity to practise historical skills such as analysis and use of sources.
Civics and Citizenship: Students will have the opportunity to examine the role of laws in a democratic society and identify ways they can be active and informed citizens and take action, in different contexts.
English: This program gives students a ‘real life’ context for responding to literature on the Holocaust.
Personal and Social Capability
VCE and VCAL (Units 1—4)
This program is relevant to the following VCE subjects:
English / VCE and VCAL
- VCE Unit 1 & 3, Area Study 1,
Reading and creating texts
- VCE Unit 2 & 4, Area of Study 2,
Reading and comparing texts
- VCAL intermediate and senior,
Reading, writing and oral communication
- VCE Unit 1 Twentieth century history 1918–1939
Religion and Society
- VCE Unit 2 Religion and Ethics
- VCE Unit 2, Area of Study 2 – How are people influenced to behave in particular ways?
Customise your experience
Teachers may request a focus on specialised learning topics such as psychology or specific texts such as Night or Maus, by prior discussion with the Education team.
We will also offer a 2-D version of the immersive VR experience for students as an alternative. Please request this option when booking.
Our child safety commitment
All children visiting or engaging with the JHC have a right to feel and be safe, respected, valued and protected from harm.
The JHC is strongly committed to the safety and well-being of all children at our museum. Our museum deals with difficult themes and material. We create and maintain a child safe environment as the welfare of children is our priority.